Skip to main content

New Years' Resolutions- a little late.

Here are my New Years resolutions- hopefully nice and specific, not impossible and fairly easy to tell if I have done them...they also may change as the year goes on, if I realise that they are impossible or foolish.

1. No alcohol. It may be a sign of age, but over the past couple of months I have had a headache and then felt sick for about a week after even one modestly sized glass of wine. As I rarely drink, this should not be a problem...maybe. I drink in the English style- nothing for months, and then a party with much, much wine- i.e. binge drinking. Yey!

2.  Horse riding- pass ABRS Equitation 5 and Stable Management 7 and 8. (Information here and here, if you are interested). Update- since I made this list, I've passed Equitation 5- just about. Not going to aim to pass 6 this year though, as I don't think I will improve enough.

3. Exercise- do more. Nothing crazy- yoga twice a week (yes, that is exercise!), swimming twice a week, walking twice a week. So far I have been swimming a couple of times- this morning I did 40 lengths, which is half a mile (the pool is very short!).

4. Save money. At the moment I fritter it all away on my hardcore pony habit and serious knitting habit. £100 a month seems reasonable, especially now I am old and my car insurance has dropped considerably. (May have something to do with the fact that I no longer drive a sports car...).

5. Plan meals. So I don't end up eating cheese because I can't be arsed to cook and everything else is frozen. Hopefully this, along with point 3, will result in my ending the year lighter than I started it- but I don't think that 'lose weight' is a very helpful resolution, if you have no plans on how do it!

6. Sleep more. Not as in napping randomly during the day, but going to bed earlier- 9.30pm. I need to accept that my natural waking up time is 5.30-6am (thanks, dad) and thus if I want to not be a zombie during the day, I have to have an old person bedtime. Sigh.

7. Get rid of things that fall into the category 'shit I don't need'. Less to clean, less for the cats to break, less furniture, more room to lay on the floor like a starfish. I've already got rid of some 'stuff' to willinh recipients- the breadmaker, for instance, as I am going to make bread from scratch (see item 13).

8. Read more. I've written a whole post on this!

9. Spend 45 mins a week in the garden making it grow stuff. Mostly thus far I have made elaborate plans but shirked the actual work...first- digging. It's been a bit wet for that so far this year.

10. Knitting course- actually do this. The bits I've done so far have been interesting, but I've not done much of it, as there is always something else to do, such as getting the kitchen sink really shiny, and other such vital tasks.

11. Knitting- get down to two WIPs (work in progress..ess..) and use the enormous collection of yarn I have rather than buying more. (See point 4- knitting addiction vs. saving).

12. Sew stuff. Rather than just re-arranging fabric and thinking 'I should really make something with this.'. My bfs mum made me a dress for Christmas and gave me the paper pattern, so I will make one of those.

13. Learn to make good bread from scratch. This book was a Christmas presents, and first bread attempt went well. No more manky processed bread! So far, bread attempts have gone quite well, and tasted like actual bread. Today's effort (see photo) was made using flour that mum ground herself. (Well, in an electric grain mill- apparently a millstone requires too much effort).

14. Go "no 'poo". No, not some weird constipation cult, but cutting out commercial shampoo, conditioner and cleaning products. Bicarbonate of soda and vinegar are my friends. (Plus lavender essential oil to avoid smelling like a chippy..). I may also experiment with using olive oil as a moisturiser, but I suspect that would result in a greasy face.

I know, it's quite a long list. But if I don't write all of my ideas down now, I will forget them.

Does anyone else have New Years' Resolutions? Perhaps a shorter list than this..?!


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your resolutions--you are way more ambitious thank I am--wow.I have only 3. Publish my book, learn more computer skills, learn to cook chicken and fish.

    Curious what a "chippy" is and what it smells like.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that it is ambition, more an excess of ideas, which is why I had to write them all down...yours are much more memorable! I think that publishing a book is why more ambitious than anything on my list...

      A chippy is a chip shop (but can also mean 'carpenter'...) which smells like the fat they fry stuff in, but also like vinegar..which is what I was wanting to avoid. Although vinegar is a nice, clean smell, so it could be worse!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review: Newton and the Counterfeiter

I really enjoyed this book- it was only about 250 pages long, so I whizzed through it. (Well, relatively- it took about a week). It describes the (relatively brief) conflict between Isaac Newton and William Chaloner. I knew shamefully little about Newton before starting this book (other than the obvious 'scientist who thought up gravity when an apple landed on his head'.) The book describes his early life, and rise to fame as a scientist. (Apples are barely mentioned). Later in life, he was appointed Warden of the Royal Mint, at a time when England's coinage was debased and in need of re-minting. Part of his role as Warden was to chase down anyone who was counterfeiting coins- this was punishable by death, as it was considered treason against the monarch (whose face was on the coinage). Thus, Newton came into conflict with counterfeiter William Chaloner, who first came to London as a runaway apprentice, trying to make his fortune. (One of my favourite parts of the b

Belated round-up

Having just re-read my 2014 aims post , and noticed that I intended to write a monthly round up of my progress, I thought it was about time for, err, a three-and-a-half monthly progress summary! - C&G knitting course- I have made slow progress on this- although slow is better than none! I have at least written out a giant list of what I need to do to finish the module so that I can have the satisfaction of ticking things off said list. I've knitted a few more samples and written up the notes on them. I think I need to focus more on this aim, if I am to actually finish the module this year. I seem to have a bit of mental block about it though, and I am not sure why. - donate 2% of earnings to charity. I have been doing this, although more by sponsoring people for the London Marathon and joining the National Trust than by picking a charity each month and donating to it, which is what I originally envisaged. I am wondering if donating less often, say every six months, would b

2014 aims and review of 2013 aims

After all of the Christmas feasting (the fridge is still full of cheese, and sprouts that didn't get cooked), and despite the first cold of the winter, I am feeling the urge to get cracking with some projects, and finish up all of those little lingering jobs that I've been putting off. One of those is to work out what I am aiming to achieve this year...and this is what I have come up with: - complete first module of C&G knitting course and start second. Save enough money to pay the course fees for the whole course. - donate 2% (minimum) of earnings to charity. I am planning to donate at the end of each month, and to donate to a variety of causes, local, international, animals, people, conservation- hopefully a wide variety. - read down the house- I'd like to read 12 books this year, which would leave quite a few books unread. But it'd be nice to establish the habit of reading again. - reduce stash of knitting yarn from just under 40,000 metres to under 30,000 m